An INTACH project. This project was awarded the Urban Heritage Award 2001 for the best restored public space by the Indian Heritage Society. An earliest example of a professional restoration of a fire damaged property. Scope of work included comprehensive interior restoration including designing of the interior layout and necessary structural repairs.
The Wellington fountain was erected in 1865 in the Neo-Classical style by public subscription to commemorate the visits of the Duke of Wellington to Bombay. The two tiered octagonal fountain was conceived in different materials - Basalt stone for its main construction, marble for its 8 bas relief panels and the upper most shaft of cast iron with acanthus leaves ornamentation topped with a slender brass shaft. The material and the ornamentation details were revealed on removal of multiple layers of paint from the surface which was the main task involved. The tiled dado over the steps and external face of the ground trough at few places were removed to expose the original basalt steps. The removal of paint from basalt was done with sophisticated mechanical means while the marble cleaning was done by professional conservators. The metal shaft was painted matching grey and highlighted in golden paint. The brass finial was also exposed.
The fountain is a fusion of water, architecture and sculpture depicting the Roman goddess Flora built in 1864 by the Agri-horticultural Society of Western India. Flora fountain is a multi-tiered symmetrical structure placed in a shallow circular basin. The project aims at reviving the water engineering of the fountain and restoring the same. It also aims on attending to ill-informed interventions done during the past including sculpting of the missing parts of the sculptures. Several leakages happening through the stone joints and water trays have been rectified. The soiled and painted surfaces are being cleaned by team of very experienced conservators from INTACH. The circular trough is now clad with Italian marble. The Phase I of the project is the restoration of the most iconic Grade I landmark of Mumbai and the Phase II involves the enhancement of its surrounding which will be undertaken soon.
The Bomanjee Hormarjee Wadia clock tower and fountain was built in 1882 as a commemorative fountain in honour of Bomanjee Hormarjee Wadia who had contributed largely towards the service of the city. The architecture has influence of Assyrian or Persepolis style as seen in winged bull reliefs on all facades and acanthus leaf cornice; built in Malad and Kurla stone. The structure was unsafe and on verge of collapse with its slab resting on TW joist failing and the clock tower leaning out with cornices pushed apart from the original location due to vegetation growth. The challenging part of the project was to restore the entire structure together which was falling apart. The clock was restored, the painted and soiled surfaces were cleaned giving new life to the almost ruinous structure symbolised by the re-ticking of the clock.
Looking after the day to day maintanence of this historic structure, complete repairs and refurbishment of the structure i.e roof repairs, exterior facades , interiors, wooden structural strengthening etc.
The JN Petit Library and Reading room is an iconic building on D. N. Road, Mumbai constructed in the last decade of the 19th Century. It is one of the few examples of Public libraries and reading rooms in a city that is fast losing out on such spaces. The Building underwent an extension in the first half of the 20th Century, which was sensitive to its historic character. The comprehensive repairs and restoration of the building was aimed at carrying out structural repairs, waterproofing to make the building watertight and fenestration repairs. The interiors were restored to their original finish and detail. The project won the UNESCO Asia Pacific Award of Distinction for the year 2015.
The YMCA proctor Branch located in Umerbhai path,Agripada Mumbai . The building is a century old. It under went complete structural, architectural and interior refurbishment including MEP along with landscape.
The building is connected to the important archival collection of the Institute houses in its library and it has a hall in its gr floor used for multiporpose activities. Comprehensive repairs were carried out externally and internally in a few areas with complete refurbishment of the historic interiors which is Art Deco in style.
Esplanade house is a palatial one of the most opulent late 19th century bungalows of Mumbai belonging to JN Tata. However the structure was in a run down condition due to poor maintanence. This was completely restored in 3 phases and work spanned over a decade which involved structural repairs and stregthening, restoring wooden balconies and coomon areas.
Repairs and restrengthening of 5 (century) old tenanted buildings in a compound in Central Mumbai. The highlight was authentic restoration to its original form and shape. This is an early example of repairs and restoration of a tenanted building in the city.
Repairs and restrengthening of 4 (century) old tenanted buildings in Central Mumbai. Of the four buildings one buildings entire floor slabs were reconstructed. This is an early example of repairs and restoration of a tenanted building in the city.
Cama building on Gilder lane presents a domestic typology of housing in Bombay with vernacular elements such as verandahs, timber screens, etc. Over the years, the building had fallen into a state of poor maintenance and requiring urgent repairs. The repairs and restoration of the Cama building successfully transformed this ‘unloved’ building.
Mumbai has many early 20th Century buildings which are tenanted residential structures. The Jaiji mansion is one such building which became a co-operative housing society; and with its active and concerned members, decided to repair and restore the building using professional guidance. Repairs to the external facades and common areas of the interiors were carried out between 2013 and 2015. It is now a successful example of repairs and restoration of a residential typology.
Amerchand mansion is a Indo Sarcenic style grand residential building of the Colonial Era which now is partially commercial in its use. Comprehensive structural and architectural conservation was carried out for decor who were renovating the Ground and First floor of A wing. This included : Cleaning, Stitching of Cracks, Repointing, Repairing of the Porbandar Stone Cornice,Reconstruction of the Stone Balconies, ,Malad Crete Plastering and casting new floor slab on 1st floor and restoring the Gr floor levels of the property.
American Express bank was housed on the Gr Floor of Oriental Building at Flora Fountain. Complete renovation of the Interiors were carried out including incorporating of services. It became the first bank then to endorse conservation way back in 1995.
A Grade II – A heritage Building at Kala Ghoda, Mumbai for M/s Tata Sons Ltd. Army Navy Building is the first tenanted building to be comprehensively be restored in 1998. This was followed modification of entrance lobby and enhancing the public areas like arcades, corridors and tidying the electrical routes. The ongoing repairs include the complete tile roof repairs.
This 16th century church is a very significant church from an architectural and art historic point of view. The church was originally called as the Friary de San Antonio (Church of St. Anthony) and was constructed in c. 1582 A.D., as such; it can claim to be older even than the Taj Mahal (c 1630 AD). The church was built in “Baroque Style” of architecture, which was a characteristic of the Portuguese built churches during this era. However over the recent decades the church underwent few interventions which underplayed the heritage character. An inspection of the church was carried out by us and the repairs and restoration process commenced in 2014. The interventions aimed at a sensitive approach to retain the historicity of the church while incorporating services for modern day needs. The conservation work took 18 months and commenced with roof repairs ensuring that the building be made watertight. Specialized works such as reconstruction of the pulpit canopy and porch main carved door, gold gilding to restore the former glory of the main altar and side altars and the pulpit; replacement the flooring to match the original were carried out. Redoing of the plaster in lime to revive the lost tradition of lime works were carried out. While undertaking the works, part of an original stone vaulting with floral motifs was found beneath the existing timber vault. This was like an archaeological discovery of importance and it was decided to respect this by exposing parts of it for viewing. On 20th September 2015, the 432 year old church was reopened to the faithful by Rev Cardinal Oswald Gracias and is now one of the prime restored heritage landmarks of Thane.
One of the oldest surviving Protestant churches of Bombay dates back to 19th Century (1833). Built in the Neo-classical style, the church had been renovated in the past with ill-informed repairs. The restoration of the church aimed at strengthening the structural system of the teakwood trusses of the church along with restoring the missing architectural details of the facade. The original lath ceiling plaster was re-done using like to like materials and techniques while columns capitals were highlighted in gold gilding. The highlight of the church restoration was the restoration of the stained glass which dates back to the late 1860’s predating the stained glass of the Rajabai tower and the Convocation hall.
St. Andrews Church at Bandra is one of the most historically significant Churches of Mumbai constructed by the Portuguese in the early 17th Century. This Church also predates the Taj Mahal. The proposed comprehensive repairs and restoration of the Church, the first in the Church’s 400 year old history is aimed at a holistic roof and structural repairs while restoring the interior finishes and details including specialized lime, carpentry and gilding works.
Was amongst the earliest public buildings of Pune to be restored comprehensively at a cost of Rs 67 lakhs which included complete waterproofing of flat terrace and tiled roofs, Exterior and interiors reapirs with new electrical, and immediate landscape. The building was decalred unsafe when the work started and was declared as ASI monument after completion of work.
Is a community museum which is housed in a bahaus style building in a heritage precinct of Khareghat Colony. The scope of work included comprehensive interior and exterior repairs and complete new electricals including waterproofing of terraces and tiled roof repairs and its immediate landscape.
Located in Old Goa, its a 16th century building in the World Heritage Site campus For Old Goa Velha Trust. Scope of work included: complete structural strengthening, complete roof repairs, exterior lime plastering and interiors of the chapel . It now houses a Christian Arts Museum.
This is the first successful complete complete conservation project done in public private partnership module which received the highest award ie Unesco Asia Pacific award of excellence. The work was done in three phases first phase was complete building repairs, second phase was climate control for galleries within the building and third phase was refurbishment of rear plaza and all rear ancillary structures.
This was a comprehensive conservation project which included complete redoing of its Mechanical, Eelectrical and Plumbing works with state of Art lighting. It was inaugurated by the CM of Kerala. It was done for Kochi Binella Foundation.
This was inaugurated by the President of India on 14th Aug 2005 at the Golden Jubilee celebration of ONGC. Scope of work was to restore an early 20th Century Art Deco palatial house which was used as offices by ONGC but after restoration converted to an oil museum. the work included restoring the lost art deco details in the comprehensive restoration of exterior and interior with landscape and electrical and landscape.
Orphanage for the Handmaid of the blessed trinity sponsered by JP Morgan
Year of commencement: 2008
Year of completion: 2011
The orphange was a response to its immediate context ie village hence tiled roof terrace space and courtyard. Architectural language was contemporary, minimalistic with use of local stone masonary as relief. (Project done jointly with Ar Siddhant Dave)
Nomination Of CST Building As An UNESCO World Heritage Site
For INTACH Mumbai Chapter
Year of commencement: 2003
Year of completion: 2004
An INTACH project. The scope included preparing the WHS Dossier as per UNESCO formats i.e identifying OUV, comparing it with 6 best railway stations in the world and preparing the enabling guidelines for development. This is was awarded the World Heritage Site status in 2004.
Website and content is a property of Vikas Dilawari Conservation Architects